Skip to main content

The correct way to use your knife. (What you were not told)

I am quite suprised at the number of knife enthusiasts who did not know how to properly utilize their cutting implements.. Myself included.

For me, the realization came late. Middle age is a period where your body undergoes considerable change, and not necessarily for the better. I have perhaps one hundred knives in my possession. Maybe 150. I don't know for sure, unless I count them. But that is not important here. What's important is the realisation that I have been abusing most of my knives. By "abuse", I do not mean using a knife for tasks it was not designed for(e.g. as a pry-bar, can opener, batoning, clever, hammer etc) and then putting it away wet. By abuse, I meant reading up on a knife, looking up reviews of it on the internet forums, watching trials and abuse test of it on youtube, etc., and then after procuring it, unboxing it, fondling it and put it away in a drawer or safe, not to be seen again. Personally, I have this incoherent fear that if I were to start using that knife, and consequently having to sharpen it, I would take away some magic from it. In short, I would cause it to depreciate drastically in value:

You walked into a pawn shop: "so how much is it worth?"

Dealer: "hmm..this is a sprint run, and only 50 were ever made in this shade of orange.."

You: "..wow.."

Dealer: " and it costs $286 back in 2016..in today's market, it would fetch at least $1800 to $2,300 at an auction.."

You: " oh wow !! "

Dealer: " but because you have cleaned your knife with steel wool, it's worth about $15 to $20 now.."


For the most part, the magic is real. Everytime I looked at my "tactical folder" collection, I imagine if I were to have any one of the folders in my pocket (right side, tip-up config, mind you), and if confronted by four bad guys in a dimly lit alley, I most probably could deploy the knife in the dark and open the bad guys' bellies in one single, quick, smooth Emerson swipe. (And if there were eight bad guys, it would take two swipes, max. Provided it's tip-up, right side config)

So what is the proper way to use a knife? Simple: USE IT. Before you call me lame, I do buy affordable knives that I especially like in pairs. One for use, the other for "abuse" in the knife crypt. But we all know this is not a very practical approach both in terms of space and financial constraints. At least for most people.

I have found that the best way to start using your knives (or anything for that matter) is to sit down on a quiet evening and write your own obituary and also a post-funeral ebay listing for your knife collection. It should contain something like this:

" ..Xavior Emeritus Lee, collector and proud owner of a large collection of pocket knives, daggers, bowies, hunters, machetes, swords, axes, all of them in pristine or unused condition....I do not know much abot knives.... my loss is your gain.."


I might be wrong. There are people who believe "he who dies with the most knives wins".

But then again, this post is about using, not winning.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SHARPENING WITH ARKANSAS STONES

What on earth are they? A user made box of assorted Arkansas stones. They are America's answer to: The Wales' Welsh Slate (Dragon's Tongue); The Scotch Tam O'Shanter; The English Charnley Forest stone; The Japanese Tenin Toishi; The German Thuringian Hone; The Chinese Guangzhou River bedrock; The Belgian Coticule; You get the idea. Local rocks that you use to sharpen mama's kitchen knives.   A collection of smaller pocket-sized Arkansas stones  In this entry, I will not try to tell you what you probably already know. What is the point of describing that oily rock you already have under your bench, in your drawer, in a can of kerosene? Note also, that the sharpening I describe here is best applied to woodworking in general. I am an amateur handtool woodworker. Sharpening a straight razor would be entirely another branch of science. I do not profess to know all there is to know about sharpening or Arkansas stones; I simply failed

An Essential Pocket Knife : The Stockman

You're so right. I should be writing about Whittlers instead of Stockman knives. Afterall, this is a wood working blog. But do you whittle the whole day? Perhaps. Can you peel an apple with a whittler? Maybe, but not as well. What if you forgot the butter knife at a picnic, or you somehow need to spey or neuter an animal in an instant?.. (ok, I'm pulling your leg, but I'm referring to the ubiquitous spey blade in your stockman.) A stockman knife (Also called your Gandpa's EDC) will do all of the above with ease, and it will WHITTLE. My shallow pocket and minute brain says that Whittlers are for collectors. Try buying a Stag handled split-backsping whittler. They are not cheap. This is one of the forty stockmen I've purchased online. The other 39 are on their way. And yes, I have issues. The stockman bug maybe. Wait till my wife sees them: I like to imagine myself as a craftsman first, woodworker second. Now you see why I bought this brand. Looks so

The prolific & seemingly mundane Stanley 110 block plane..

R eally?   Well, it's everywhere, check Granpa or uncle Tim's shack ( if you include copies of it by lesser tool makers) For something so abundant (well, Stanley sold them by truckloads), so common and so relatively inexpensive, I will attempt to wax some lyrical on them. By "them" I mean their design, their construction. The plane pictured above was purchased off ebay for $4.90. It looked like Joe Meatball (to borrow Patrick Leach's character) bought it, used it on some hardwood (pre silicon valley micro chipping at the edge)without first fettling the plane(unsharpened factory bevel), and put it away (in some dry place), and totally forgot about it. First off, at Five Bucks, how can you go wrong? Five bucks don't buy you a door wedge these days.   STANLEY'S SUPERIOR ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT DOOR WEDGE, TYPE 16.  1) The lever cap also serves as an ergonomic palm-rest to push the plane forward, and the oval shaped  cut-out serves as a hanging h