Skip to main content

A Case for Chisels: Stanley 5000 series

“Life being very short, and the quiet hours of it few, we ought to waste none of them in reading valueless books.”
-John Ruskin.

Substitute the word "books" with "blogs", and perhaps you should stop reading.
I did my part and you are warned. No, I can't refund 4 minutes of your life.

For the most part of my woodworking life, I've kept my loose chisels in felt lined drawers. (I mean excess chisels purchased on impulse:
Those of cast steel, those of boxwood, those octagonal London snobs, those ergo grips that promises an orgasm with each mortise, the socketed, the tanged, the handle-less tangs, the long paring ones, those curious crank-necks, the basic pig stickers, the vintage ferrule-less-...you know. I know. Some folks have too many hammers or smoothing planes or trammels.
I'm a chisel guy.




But the ones that are constantly on the move live in a canvas tool roll.
I like the look of a chisel roll, except that the edges tend to slice the tool roll open. I've tried making edge guards, and they work until you pull out a chisel. The guard remains lodged in the pocket. It's a litte annoying to get them out and re-sheath them on the chisel. One day, while handling the tool roll, one narrow chisel slipped out and ended up on the floor, edge first (as always)
A hour is lost restoring the edge. That's one woodworking hour. Slightly longer than a New York minute.

I recall reading Scott Granstaff's article a few years back. He made a box for someone's chisels.
The way the box was made, it stowed the chisels flat and folded in half like a book. In use, the twin hinged racks can be tilted up for easy access.

A full circle:
I went from home center plastics to modern Stanley plastics to Vintage Stanleys, to vintage Sheffield makers, to Japanese white/blue paper steels, back to vintage Sheffield, and now back to plastics. Eew...plastique.

Marples sold to Record. Record to Irwin, Irwin is now part of Newell Rubbermaid, chisels made in ROC or China? They put Marples on them chisels for credibility. In my opinion, the steel in these are still good, despite many negative feedbacks in tool reviews. I just don't admire the handle shape, albeit being very practical for mallet/paring ops.


I never thought I could tolerate plastics; Polypropylene in this case.
I regarded them as an affront to Hand tool tradition.
But I look them over one day, without the usual prejudice.
Namely the Stanley 5002 blue grips.
Shaped like a torpedo, the carver's pattern grip enables one to push a cut, and pull (eg. out from a mortice). Well, most chisels allow that, but with complex turnings that sacrifice holding comfort. (bulbs, flats, scored lines) These 5002s felt good in the hand. With the heft of boxwood. Yes,they're top heavy and slippery when wet. So is boxwood.

The 5002s (Made in 60s-90s England) have decent carbon steel. I'm not saying they hold an edge like those powdered metallurgy steel hybrids. I'm saying they make the cut and sharpens up easily. You have a razor edge in between more frequent but brief sharpening. Not an almost sharp chisel that stays that way for a long time, like A2 or high speed steel. Even those A2 makers offer plain carbon O1 steels.

The 5002s also comes in red polypropylene. How's that for variation?




Have you seen any manufacturer who makes plastic handles in 2 sizes?
Neither have I. Until I met these 5002s.
Sizes 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", & 1/2" is a tad shorter in handle length and smaller in girth as well.


And if you hate grind/mill marks, Stanley used to offer a highly polished version: The 5001. They probably cost 50% more and did not sell as well, judging by the ebay listings.
Note that only 3 faces (top,side bevels)are highly polished. The back is the usual grind look.
 



The chisel box I'm about to make here is inspired by Scott Grandstaff.
Ok, ok, okay..
I SHAMELESSLY COPIED THE CHISEL BOX DESIGN FROM SCOTT GRANDSTAFF.

Bite me, but it was a clever design. I copied him, but with some subtle variation in the hardware.



First, the hasp, or hook / latch or whatchamacallit.

I bent and cut a piece of  4" iron nail to a shape I deemed important.
I forged the ends flat for a screw hole. I bored the hole and countersunk it. The rest of the hook, I filed to my fancy. I then blued the whole assembly with a butane torch, quenching in oil.





I also blued everything else than can be blued. This is not a wussy box.
And yes, so that they match. Smart girl!

40 Screws and six hinges later:


A word about bluing. Remove all surface rust and oil, for an even finish.
At this point, I've decided to box either the black 5001s or the blue 5002s, since both match the hardware in color.

I flat sanded the screw heads before they touch the flame.
 After and before sanding.




Making the box. The strips I salvaged from a staircase blocking off-cuts. Teak. The rest of the box will also be in Teak. 1/2" thick.

 I will screw down the strips as I go along, using the actual chisel for size, rather than working from a calculated drawing.


A little variation to the back board:
 By chamfering the ends of the board, the chisel's bolster can reach in deeper to the blade pocket.


The twin strips of horizontal chisel retainers will be epoxied to the frame. They look too thin to bore holes for screws.


One half of the set completed. I chose 5002s because in the 5001 set, I'm missing the 3/8" size, a most used size in dovetailing.

Next, I made the carcase for the box. Straight-forward dovetails. 
 An impatient mock up of the whole assembly. Sloppy fit, but not too bad for a wood-butcher. 13 3/4" long x 7" wide.

Cutting the recess for the butt hinges.

work in progress...

Left over nail shank from making the box hasp. Hot forged, filed, bores and countersunk, these will be the chisel ramp retainers..


I filed the retainer to resemble a chisel's blade.


But before this, I need to attach the chisel rack to the box's carcase.

(Below)In operating mode, the handles of the chisel stand ready for action..pick a chisel..


The retainer which keeps the chisel-rack in place also served as a prop-up lug for the chisel-rack. (below: a close up look)
I can flip the thing over like turning a page.
And finally, I will install the strange hooks I fashioned out of a pair of iron nails. The will be the hasps/latch to keep the box closed.


While I was trueing up the box with a block plane, I realized that the grain direction of the upper and lower sides at the front of the box runs opposite of each other. Major tear-outs occurred. I sanded the surface to reduce the tear-out, card-scraped and steel-wooled the surface. A few deep scar remains. I will Danish-oil the box later.


In all, I counted:
  • 60 screws, flame blued, pilot-hole bored, most of them countersunk;
  • 20 overlapping joints;
  • 16 dovetails;
  • 8 grooves plowed (for front and back panel);
  • 2 raised panels done by hand;
  • 4 pcs of hand-hammered hardware, filed and blued;
  • 7 hinges ;
  • 4-5 evenings, can't remember.

All that for a chisel box? Not sure if it's worth the candle. But then, I'm a chisel guy..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHARPENING WITH ARKANSAS STONES

What on earth are they? A user made box of assorted Arkansas stones. They are America's answer to: The Wales' Welsh Slate (Dragon's Tongue); The Scotch Tam O'Shanter; The English Charnley Forest stone; The Japanese Tenin Toishi; The German Thuringian Hone; The Chinese Guangzhou River bedrock; The Belgian Coticule; You get the idea. Local rocks that you use to sharpen mama's kitchen knives.   A collection of smaller pocket-sized Arkansas stones  In this entry, I will not try to tell you what you probably already know. What is the point of describing that oily rock you already have under your bench, in your drawer, in a can of kerosene? Note also, that the sharpening I describe here is best applied to woodworking in general. I am an amateur handtool woodworker. Sharpening a straight razor would be entirely another branch of science. I do not profess to know all there is to know about sharpening or Arkansas stones; I simply failed

An Essential Pocket Knife : The Stockman

You're so right. I should be writing about Whittlers instead of Stockman knives. Afterall, this is a wood working blog. But do you whittle the whole day? Perhaps. Can you peel an apple with a whittler? Maybe, but not as well. What if you forgot the butter knife at a picnic, or you somehow need to spey or neuter an animal in an instant?.. (ok, I'm pulling your leg, but I'm referring to the ubiquitous spey blade in your stockman.) A stockman knife (Also called your Gandpa's EDC) will do all of the above with ease, and it will WHITTLE. My shallow pocket and minute brain says that Whittlers are for collectors. Try buying a Stag handled split-backsping whittler. They are not cheap. This is one of the forty stockmen I've purchased online. The other 39 are on their way. And yes, I have issues. The stockman bug maybe. Wait till my wife sees them: I like to imagine myself as a craftsman first, woodworker second. Now you see why I bought this brand. Looks so

The prolific & seemingly mundane Stanley 110 block plane..

R eally?   Well, it's everywhere, check Granpa or uncle Tim's shack ( if you include copies of it by lesser tool makers) For something so abundant (well, Stanley sold them by truckloads), so common and so relatively inexpensive, I will attempt to wax some lyrical on them. By "them" I mean their design, their construction. The plane pictured above was purchased off ebay for $4.90. It looked like Joe Meatball (to borrow Patrick Leach's character) bought it, used it on some hardwood (pre silicon valley micro chipping at the edge)without first fettling the plane(unsharpened factory bevel), and put it away (in some dry place), and totally forgot about it. First off, at Five Bucks, how can you go wrong? Five bucks don't buy you a door wedge these days.   STANLEY'S SUPERIOR ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT DOOR WEDGE, TYPE 16.  1) The lever cap also serves as an ergonomic palm-rest to push the plane forward, and the oval shaped  cut-out serves as a hanging h