Skip to main content

ONTARIO RAT MODEL 1 : MY TWO CENTS WORTH.



 
 
This review does not include a cut test because:

1. How sharp the knife comes from the factory have very little to do with how well it is designed. I could sharpen mild steel until it will slice paper.
2. Production variables (this includes heat-treat consistency) will null any singular test done on just one knife.
3. I believe every knife user must know how to bring a edge to his/her satisfaction.
4. The best place to hear about Ontario's AUS 8 steel's performance is from forums, from multiple people cutting a myriad of material, and their comparison to other steels. "..comes outta box raazorr sharp! I mean really..really sharp!..." another: "..this steel is crap..don't hold an edge..", "..in between 440A and VG10..IMHO..", you get the picture. Take the average feedback. You won't be far off.

Here I am, saying what I really think of this knife. Trying not to cover what was not already covered, which is...little. Very little.
In closed position, this knife is about as long as my iphone 5, and feels just a little lighter.
 
 



 







 Pocket Clip is the usual black coated 3-Torx affair, reaching half the football field. If you wear it on your jeans, people will know you attended the Randall's Adventure Training, and therefore will not screw with you. Personally, I have not attended, nor do I know what it's all about. I simply watched too much nutnfancy and cutlerylover and thelateboyscout on youtube and got carried away. (stay away from their channel after 2am) I ended up with 11 tactical folders. And if there's a size choice, I always ordered a "large". I suppose "minis" are for office people.Where on earth is a forty-something with a beer gut going to have his next mission? Barfight? I'll probably need a change of fresh underwear the moment that flush-faced dude whip out his mini texas toothpick.

On youtube, I always hear this when people review knives with open construction,"... and you can simply clean the knife with a burst from a can of air..." Yeah. We all bring canned air on our camping trips. But I'm sure he meant to say "..when I get back home, I can do that.." Well, when you're home, you can un-torx the whole assembly and time and tools are seldom an issue. It's only an issue when you're out there in the field, blood, gut, grit, sand, mud, lotion trapped in your knife.
 The stainless steel liner is held together by not one, not two, not three, not four, but.........wait for it....FIVE stand-offs.
(Please do not ask me why they call it a stand-off. The staring at a  pre-bar fight is a stand off to me. The pins are more like a spacer or pillar to me, if you will.)
 In opened position, the 4 saw tooth that makes the jimping slant towards the user. Little friction offered here, when compared to say, a Spyderco Tenacious's jimping.

Whenever someone says a knife sports ambidextrous thumbstuds, I always wonder if the knife is made for a person who can use a knife with both hands, interchangeably. For me, if a guy can use both his hands to write, he's ambidextrous, but I won't say the pencil is ambidextrous. Maybe dual or 2-way or L&R thumbstuds would sound more logical to me. But that's just me.

 
Still on thumbstuds:
 
If you are right-handed, the crescent shaped cut-out offers enough recess for the flesh of your thumb to engage the thumbstud.






















For Left handed people, the gap is marginally narrower. Not a big deal, but worth a mention. Some south-paws have resorted to filing back the cut-out.
 
 
Close up of the liner lock-to-tang relation. Still young. The part where the liner lock bar touches the tang is sloped so that, with wear, the bar can compensate by moving to the right to take up any slop. Great design. Most liner locks works like this. 



Full Flat Ground. Thinner at the tip like a distal taper. Need I say more about the shape?


If I am to be very picky, my finger nails can catch the overlap of the scales on the s/steel liner. But for a sub $40 knife, who cares? This knife is about 5 oz and built like a tank. No play in/out (stabbing motion), up/down (chopping motion), or left/right (prying motion). Solid!
 
You can find this knife pitted against the Tenacious on youtube. I especially enjoyed the one by a Russian sounding guy. In it, the lock of the RAT bent and deformed (but stayed locked), while the Tenacious's lock unlocked from the impact and released the blade.



Tip-up, Tip-Down, Left or Right carry.
 
A close up look of the FRN handle. Looks rough, but feels rather smooth. Unlike G10, there's no assuring  feel like a chalkboard if you scrape your nails across the surface.

I keep hearing how fast and smooth this RAT 1 deploys, and how smooth it pops open. Well, My thumbnail lifted a little at the tip trying to pop it like the video shows. There is a sweet arc you must hit . Assuming you're holding right handed, the stud should be flipped at 10 o'clock position, making a slight arc. Flicking your wrist at the second stage just before the blade fully hits open helps, but it look amateurish. But man, this knife is 3 1/2" long! And the ball detent (when new and unbroken-in)
threaten to bust my thumb! All the inertia to make this RAT swing the arc.

All in all, if I do not find myself in a situation where my life depends on being able to flip the blade open with one hand, I feel this knife will stand up to most tasks.

Regards from the butcher.

Author's  post script and some food for thought:

While writing this review, I cut myself - twice- enough to bleed. There must be something I'm not doing right.
Sometime in 2014, Ontario released an assisted opening version of this knife...so not every one agrees that this knife exactly flies open at the slightest flick of your hitch hiking thumb...hmm...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Essential Pocket Knife : The Stockman

You're so right. I should be writing about Whittlers instead of Stockman knives. Afterall, this is a wood working blog. But do you whittle the whole day? Perhaps. Can you peel an apple with a whittler? Maybe, but not as well. What if you forgot the butter knife at a picnic, or you somehow need to spey or neuter an animal in an instant?.. (ok, I'm pulling your leg, but I'm referring to the ubiquitous spey blade in your stockman.) A stockman knife (Also called your Gandpa's EDC) will do all of the above with ease, and it will WHITTLE. My shallow pocket and minute brain says that Whittlers are for collectors. Try buying a Stag handled split-backsping whittler. They are not cheap. This is one of the forty stockmen I've purchased online. The other 39 are on their way. And yes, I have issues. The stockman bug maybe. Wait till my wife sees them: I like to imagine myself as a craftsman first, woodworker second. Now you see why I bought this brand. Looks so

SHARPENING WITH ARKANSAS STONES

What on earth are they? A user made box of assorted Arkansas stones. They are America's answer to: The Wales' Welsh Slate (Dragon's Tongue); The Scotch Tam O'Shanter; The English Charnley Forest stone; The Japanese Tenin Toishi; The German Thuringian Hone; The Chinese Guangzhou River bedrock; The Belgian Coticule; You get the idea. Local rocks that you use to sharpen mama's kitchen knives.   A collection of smaller pocket-sized Arkansas stones  In this entry, I will not try to tell you what you probably already know. What is the point of describing that oily rock you already have under your bench, in your drawer, in a can of kerosene? Note also, that the sharpening I describe here is best applied to woodworking in general. I am an amateur handtool woodworker. Sharpening a straight razor would be entirely another branch of science. I do not profess to know all there is to know about sharpening or Arkansas stones; I simply failed

The prolific & seemingly mundane Stanley 110 block plane..

R eally?   Well, it's everywhere, check Granpa or uncle Tim's shack ( if you include copies of it by lesser tool makers) For something so abundant (well, Stanley sold them by truckloads), so common and so relatively inexpensive, I will attempt to wax some lyrical on them. By "them" I mean their design, their construction. The plane pictured above was purchased off ebay for $4.90. It looked like Joe Meatball (to borrow Patrick Leach's character) bought it, used it on some hardwood (pre silicon valley micro chipping at the edge)without first fettling the plane(unsharpened factory bevel), and put it away (in some dry place), and totally forgot about it. First off, at Five Bucks, how can you go wrong? Five bucks don't buy you a door wedge these days.   STANLEY'S SUPERIOR ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT DOOR WEDGE, TYPE 16.  1) The lever cap also serves as an ergonomic palm-rest to push the plane forward, and the oval shaped  cut-out serves as a hanging h