Skip to main content

Re-handling the Joiner's Hammer

What is a Joiner? What is a Carpenter then? I don't know the difference. Never got around to find out.
(On the other hand, a cabinetmaker is quite straight forward.)
 Now that my workbench is completed, I need to do something in-between projects. Something light to take my mind off the heavy lifting.

If you Google "carpenter vs joiner" the general consensus is this:

A Joiner joins wood without the help of nails(suggesting joinery), while a carpenter makes stuff out of wood, often with nails. Another diff: A joiner works from his workshop, making windows, sashes, stairs, doors, etc., while a carpenter always works on site: at your house.

So a Joiner's hammer will not have claws. It does have a cross pein (pane) for starting brads on mouldings.


But I digress. The joiner's hammer I found on ebay UK for about $10. Without handle. Wm Marples & Sons.

Solid Cast Steel. What's the "4" for? It's definitely not 4-ounces.

More exactly, it's an Exeter pattern joiner's hammer. The book ( R.A. Salaman's Dictionary of woodworking tools) then went further to clarify that it's actually a London pattern, since the similar Exeter has chamfers on the panes.

I believe on the Brit's side of the pond, Hickory is not commonly used for handles; Beech or more commonly, Ash is used. Here in the Far east, you can buy white oak or imported Hickory replacement handles. Ash? no luck.

I really wanted to be historically correct. Out of sheer luck, I spotted a thick, China-made carpenter's claw hammer, sporting Ash (or what appears to be Ash) handle. $3. Cheaper than a replacement Hickory. So...

I forgot to take pictures of Louis XVI while the charges were read out to the offender. I will of course re-handle the poor guy with a hickory replacement. After all, the design is a David Maydole Adze eye, is it not? I'll give it to my father, a compulsive tinkerer, who uses a screwdriver as a hammer sometimes. By the way, Jeff Burks had an excellent article posted on Lost Art Press. It's an account by James Parton, dated 1879.

Shown above: the American Hickory handle that I've left out in the open to season. Not married to the hammer head eventually due to a third party of English origins.

 It's more or less freehand shaving here. The handle takes shape. Reminds me of Dixie, my pet goldfish who died 29 years ago.
 
 Next: Fitting the head.

A trick I've learnt from fitting Japanese plane iron to their beds.


You take off the black high spots after trial fitting. Note that I marked the Hibernia on the Ash handle, so I always trial fit on the same side.

 For the wedge, I used a piece of red oak offcut, so the contrast will show. In the process, I realized that I'm a vain pot.

The other wedge that will pierce the wooden wedge cross-wise. This store bought wedge is too big. I'll cut it down to width and file a few teeth (like a unset rip saw-tooth on both sides) for grip.
The top part of the eye opening is very much larger than the eye in the centre. I had failed to compensate for this by using a slow tapering wedge. Gaps ensue, as a result.
 "failbutlivewithit"
 I will not apply finish the hammer until I had mucked it up with my greasy hands. That way, the handle will not look glaringly new, but commensurate with its age.

What do I think of the handle shape? How does it feel in terms of balance? The swell forces one to hold the hammer near the tail, which makes it top heavy and less sensitive. Well, any hammer 13oz and above will feel top heavy, regardless of handle shape. If I'm adjusting the plane iron on a plane, I'll simply hold it near the head, perhaps with my pinkie lifted. Let's have some tea, shall we?

Regards from the Earl's humble wood butcher.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHARPENING WITH ARKANSAS STONES

What on earth are they? A user made box of assorted Arkansas stones. They are America's answer to: The Wales' Welsh Slate (Dragon's Tongue); The Scotch Tam O'Shanter; The English Charnley Forest stone; The Japanese Tenin Toishi; The German Thuringian Hone; The Chinese Guangzhou River bedrock; The Belgian Coticule; You get the idea. Local rocks that you use to sharpen mama's kitchen knives.   A collection of smaller pocket-sized Arkansas stones  In this entry, I will not try to tell you what you probably already know. What is the point of describing that oily rock you already have under your bench, in your drawer, in a can of kerosene? Note also, that the sharpening I describe here is best applied to woodworking in general. I am an amateur handtool woodworker. Sharpening a straight razor would be entirely another branch of science. I do not profess to know all there is to know about sharpening or Arkansas stones; I simply failed

An Essential Pocket Knife : The Stockman

You're so right. I should be writing about Whittlers instead of Stockman knives. Afterall, this is a wood working blog. But do you whittle the whole day? Perhaps. Can you peel an apple with a whittler? Maybe, but not as well. What if you forgot the butter knife at a picnic, or you somehow need to spey or neuter an animal in an instant?.. (ok, I'm pulling your leg, but I'm referring to the ubiquitous spey blade in your stockman.) A stockman knife (Also called your Gandpa's EDC) will do all of the above with ease, and it will WHITTLE. My shallow pocket and minute brain says that Whittlers are for collectors. Try buying a Stag handled split-backsping whittler. They are not cheap. This is one of the forty stockmen I've purchased online. The other 39 are on their way. And yes, I have issues. The stockman bug maybe. Wait till my wife sees them: I like to imagine myself as a craftsman first, woodworker second. Now you see why I bought this brand. Looks so

The prolific & seemingly mundane Stanley 110 block plane..

R eally?   Well, it's everywhere, check Granpa or uncle Tim's shack ( if you include copies of it by lesser tool makers) For something so abundant (well, Stanley sold them by truckloads), so common and so relatively inexpensive, I will attempt to wax some lyrical on them. By "them" I mean their design, their construction. The plane pictured above was purchased off ebay for $4.90. It looked like Joe Meatball (to borrow Patrick Leach's character) bought it, used it on some hardwood (pre silicon valley micro chipping at the edge)without first fettling the plane(unsharpened factory bevel), and put it away (in some dry place), and totally forgot about it. First off, at Five Bucks, how can you go wrong? Five bucks don't buy you a door wedge these days.   STANLEY'S SUPERIOR ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT DOOR WEDGE, TYPE 16.  1) The lever cap also serves as an ergonomic palm-rest to push the plane forward, and the oval shaped  cut-out serves as a hanging h